Light Emitting Diode (LED) Lamps are semiconductor devices that emit light when electricity is passed through it. Light is produced when the particles that carry the current known as photons combine inside the semiconductor material.
LED lamps are the most modern option. They have a long lifespan than other light bulbs such as incandescent, Fluorescent, Halogen, and Compact Fluorescent lamps. The use of LED lights has increased significantly in the homes of many consumers due to their high efficiency. A LED light bulb reduces energy consumption by up to 80% when compared to other light bulbs. Manufacturers are always looking for ways to reduce the costs of buying these unique light bulbs so that the LED lighting can benefit all homeowners.
Types of LED lights
With much effort put in the evolution and enhancement of LED lights, the lights are available in different colors, shapes, sizes, and types. Given the high cost of buying these lamps, buyers need to consider purchasing lights from specialized sellers such as www.ledlightexpert.com, who can guide them on the best variety of LED light that would suit their needs as opposed to buying from local sellers.
There are various types of LED lights in the market today. These include but not limited to;
Miniature LEDs- They are tiny and often available as a single color or shape. They are mostly used in remote controls, calculators, and mobile phones as indicators.
High Power LEDs- These types produce a more significant number of lumens than the standard varieties. As such, there is a risk of these types of overheating and should be connected to a heat-absorbent material.
Application-Specific LEDs- These are divided into;
- Red Green Blue
- Bi-color and Tri-color
Benefits of using LED Lighting in Homes
- Simple to install- Installing LED light in your home does not require any special technical skills.
- They use less electricity, thus cutting down household bills significantly.
- LED lights bulbs last much longer than other bulbs. This saves on the cost of purchasing new lamps frequently.
- Cool to touch- LED lamps do not heat up when in use; thus, do not burn when touched. This makes them safe to use, especially as table lamps in a household with young children.
- They provide more than enough light in the house.
- They are comfortable to use since they do not produce heat like other light bulbs such as incandescent bulbs.
- Durability-They can handle shocks and vibrations, so they’re suitable for various places where they might get moved around frequently.
- They do not contain toxic products such as mercury in the fluorescent tubes.
- Hardy- LED lamps do operate well in all weather and withstand all harsh weather elements. This makes them suitable for refrigerated spaces.
- Dimmable- The ability to control the brightness of LED lamps in a home helps in saving the amount of energy used and creating different moods; e.g., during sleeping time, you can dim the light to soothe children to sleep.
Benefits of using LED lighting in Commercial Buildings
In an office, it is essential to get the lighting right in order to create a comfortable and safe working environment for all office users. Business owners often examine their areas of operation to see where they can save money while operating more efficiently and improving their customer and employee experience.LED lighting offers many benefits to commercial building owners and users as follows;
Less Heat- LED light produces less heat as compared to the other types of lighting bulbs. This helps to save on air conditioning costs, especially during summer.
- Low Energy Consumption- In commercial buildings, the electricity bill can be very high. LED light consumes less energy, thus helps in saving the cost of electricity.
- Bright light- Office work involves a lot of reading and referencing. When reading, it is essential to have a good source of bright light to avoid unnecessary eye strain, which may cause migraines. It offers bright, comfortable light while reading.
- Customized Function- Led lights can be controlled using dimmers, occupancy sensors, smartphone optimization, and timers. This helps reduce the amount of energy used and gives the officeholder control over the lighting system.
- Eco- friendly- Unlike Fluorescent tubes, LED lamps do not contain mercury. These LED lights do not pose any health hazard in case of breakage. They are also easy and less costly to dispose of.
- Lifespan- LED lights do have a long lifespan making them an excellent choice to use in offices as they help save on the cost of buying and installing new lamps often.
- They are suitable for artistic operations as they have no UV emissions.
- They are smaller in size, and thus they can adapt more quickly to a variety of lighting applications.
- They have a higher color temperature, which heightens the employees’ positive mood and productivity.
- They are said to have psychological benefits, which include;
- Better concentration,
- Faster reaction time,
- Visual improvement and
- Experience lower levels of fatigue.
Use of LED light in farming
In farming, they are used to change how plants grow, alter when they flower, transform how they taste, and even modify their levels of vitamins and antioxidants. These lights can also be used to extend a plant’s shelf life.
Most greenhouse farmers have adopted the use of LED Grow light. This is because the farmers have realized that investing in LED Grow lights for their greenhouses provides a long-term economic advantage over conventional lighting. LED Grow lights consume less energy and offer more eco-friendly solutions with less maintenance cost.
LED Grow Lamps are specialized LEDs with a full spectrum designed to aid in photosynthesis that allow plants to grow with little or no sunlight.
Advantages of using LED Grow Lights in greenhouses/ Indoor farming.
Faster Harvest Cycles- LED grow lights speed up the plant growth rate. When these lights are used 24 hours per day, they allow the most plant growth per season, which increases crop yield leading to high profits.
Durability and Performance- Low operating temperature makes these modern lights last much longer than traditional lights, which produce more heat. The lower temperature puts less wear and tear on the system, allowing for a longer lifespan.
Energy Efficiency- LED grow lights consume less energy, which makes them more efficient than traditional lights. This helps save on costs.