An automobile’s engine is the most curious thing people want to understand in detail. Even though some know everything about it, they believe in false facts. One of the most crucial components of an engine is the headers. As a car owner, you should know their role extensively. So you can make decisions accordingly.
We have curated this article to discuss everything you need to learn about exhaust headers and their role in the engine. Read this article till the end to get all the answers related to this component.
Everybody wishes to have a smooth driving experience. But sometimes, their vehicles don’t allow them to enjoy the same. It is because there are some issues with the engine that are often overlooked. Well, you have to be aware of every component in the engine to resolve the issues with your knowledge.
Headers play a crucial role in improving your automobile’s performance. Their primary purpose is to exhaust the gases accurately and let them in whenever required. Automobiles usually experience back pressure in manifolds that significantly affect the engine and performance. That is why it is necessary to keep a check on the headers from time to time.
You might be eager to get all the engine header information. Let’s learn more things about them without wasting any more time.
Are Headers Crucial For An Automobile’s Engine?
Yes, headers are highly crucial for an automobile’s engine. The role they play directly affects the vehicle’s performance and driving experience. Still, some people are not familiar with this particular component. Don’t fret! Here, we will discuss everything you need to know about them.
Here are some reasons that make this component a valuable component
- Smooth exhaustion of gases: Have you ever thought about how your car exhausts the gases trapped in the engine? Well, the credit goes to headers. This component works well in almost all vehicles and provides a suitable way for releasing gases. As a result, the engine becomes more powerful and efficient.
The secret behind this smooth exhaustion of gases is separate pipes in all the cylinders. The engine doesn’t have to put in much effort while releasing the excess flow present. And that is how it moves towards a brilliant driving experience.
- Say no to back pressure: One common problem that all engines face is back pressure. It usually happens when all the gases merge and don’t find a way to release from the engine. Due to this, the combustion chamber has to suffer a lot because it doesn’t get enough fresh air.
Headers are made for brilliant airflow in the engine. They don’t allow the gases to merge and release them as fast as possible. That is how you can enhance the performance of your automobile. So what are you waiting for? Go and get them installed if you haven’t!
- Increase in horsepower: Horsepower improves your driving experience—more horsepower means better engine performance. The primary reason behind the increase in horsepower is due to the engine’s airflow balance. All thanks to exhaust headers. They do everything in no time and increase their horsepower.
- Save fuel: Some problems in the engine system lead to more consumption of fuel. And the most common cause of the same is improper exhaustion of gases. However, if you have already installed the headers, nothing won’t affect the engine in any case. There will be the proper scavenging effect with the help of this component.
The best part about exhaust headers is that they also help save fuel. So you can drive for long hours without worrying about fuel reduction.
- No trapped heat issues: Trapped heat issues in the engine cause various problems. Well, that is not the case with headers. These are made up of heat-resistant materials that don’t affect the engine. When your automobile’s engine is refined, you won’t have to worry about anything. The car will provide you with the excellent performance that you have always wanted. So, consider installing them in your car to achieve these results.
What Are The Various Types Of Headers?
You will be surprised to know that there are four types of headers. While each is perfect for improving the engine’s performance, there are some drawbacks, too. Every car user has different needs. That is why you must know about every type to make a perfect decision for your automobile. Here are some details about each one-
- Long-tube headers: These are usually installed in racing automobiles. The terms reveal that they are pretty long in size, and that is true. It is not suitable for every car engine. But for low-end and middle torque, you can go for this option. There is not anything better than this. Also, note that it includes four pipes and has an eight-cylinder engine.
Long ones are also a bit loud while you are driving. Some people are interested in the same while others avoid it. It is better to consider this particular thing before choosing them for your car.
- Shorty headers: Another common type of this component is shorty headers. These are designed according to the high RPM (Revolutions Per Minute). If that is what you are looking for, you can select this type.
Shorty headers usually come with a single pipe and are installed at a short distance, unlike long ones. Apart from that, they are convenient to install in the engine.
- Lakester Headers: These are designed to enhance the performance of hot rod cars during dry lake racing. You won’t believe it, but the way they benefit the racing participants is beyond perfection.
- Tri-Y Headers: The fourth type is Tri-Y. They are named according to their shape. To achieve a perfect balance between low-end and high-end torque, you should choose them.
Every car’s engine is different. However, there is one common thing in all of them. It is the complexity of understanding them. That doesn’t mean you cannot learn essential components and their role. It only requires reading reliable resources or discussing things with a knowledgeable person.
We hope now you have understood everything about an essential component – headers. From performance to driving experience, everything becomes perfect once they are installed.